CareerBorn in Strasbourg in May 1942, Jean-Claude Baumgarten graduated from the French business school, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales. On graduating, he assumed the position of Vice President for Becco S.A. in Strasburg (the French confectioners) and was then later responsible for sales of US mutual funds in Western Africa.In 1970, Jean-Claude joined Air France as assistant Regional Manager in Los Angeles and New York and was appointed Regional Manager in Osaka for West Japan in 1974. He became Regional Manager for Thailand and Burma, as well as Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia, in 1978. Jean-Claude was appointed to the position of General Manager for Japan in 1982 and was at the same time Chairman of the French Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
In September 1986, Jean-Claude became Vice President and General Manager for the United States, where he was responsible for all the company’s activities throughout the USA, as well as in the Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, Hawaii and French Polynesia. In June 1990 he was appointed Vice President and General Manager for France.
From June 1992 to August 1993 Jean-Claude was Executive Vice President in charge of operations for GMF, a leading French insurance company. He returned to Air France in September 1993 as Vice President and General Manager for the Americas and Asia.
In November 1993 he became Executive Vice President of Commercial Operations and a Member of the Executive Committee. In February 1996 he became Executive Vice President of Corporate, International & Industry Affairs. From December 1997 until July 1998, prior to leaving Air France, he held the position of Advisor to the Chairman.
After his departure, Jean-Claude established a company in New York with American investors under the name of CREWE Associates. This involved consultancy work and start-up advice for new businesses.
In October 1999 he was appointed President and CEO of the World Travel & Tourism Council.
He became vice Chairman of the World Travel & Tourism Council in November 2010.
He established on the 1st of January 2011 a new company CREWE Associates incorporated in France.
He is the Chairman and CEO of this company whose main purpose is to provide consulting services to private companies and governments.
Jean-Claude Baumgarten has received many awards for his achievements and contribution to air transport and tourism, among them:
He is a Chevalier in the French Ordre National de la Légion d’Honneur, as well as an Officier in the Ordre National du Mérite and a Chevalier des Arts et Lettres.
He was presented with the Gold Medal for Tourism by the Portuguese Government in 2004 and 2008
He was awarded the Anita Garibaldi Gold Medal by the Government of Santa Catarina in 2009.
Doctor Honoris Causa for Tourism by the University of Buffalo USA in 2010.
Doctor Honoris Causa for Business Management by the University of Bournemouth UK in 2012.
Past and Current Corporate Responsibilities
- Jean-Claude Baumgarten has long contributed to the Travel & Tourism in France and worldwide through his work guiding some influential organisations in the industry including:
- Chairman of the French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan
- Board director for Le Méridien Hotels & Resorts
- Board director for French global tour operator, Jet Tours
- Board director of Servair
- Chairman of Frequence Plus, the frequent flyers programme for Air France
- Advisor on Foreign Trade to the French government
- Chairman of the Tourism Commission for advisors on Foreign Trade
- Governor of the board of the International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- Director of the board of the Association of European Airlines (AEA)
- Director of the supervisory board of TUI
- Director of the supervisory board of Messe Berlin
- Board director of the Foundation on Antivirals (FAV)
- Member of the Advisory Council for World Travel Market
- Chairman of the Hainan China Tourism International Advisory Board
- Vice Chairman of the World Travel & Tourism Council
- Vice Chairman of the Macao Global Tourism Economic Forum
- Chairman and MD of CREWE Associates